Kidney stones tend to have some very identifiable symptoms. However, they can also be confused with other illnesses. Some symptoms include:
- Severe pain below your ribs, especially on your side or your back
- Pain radiating near your groin
- Sudden, recurring sharp pains
- Pain during urination
- Pink, red, or brown colored urine
- Strong smelling urine
- Nausea & vomiting
- Increased frequency of urinating
- Only urinating small amounts
You should see your doctor if you have one or more of these symptoms. Dr. Rahman performs kidney stone screenings, in which x-ray imaging will be able to show calcium, or an ultrasound can detect swelling in the kidneys.
There are also blood and urine tests that can be done, which also helps identify your kidney health.